Saturday 15 May 2021

COMBINING SENTENCES

Combine the following sentences.

 COMBINING SENTENCES

COMBINING SENTENCES


Q: Combine the following sets of sentences into a single sentence in each case, using the words given in brackets.

1. Success shouldn't madden people. I believe so. (that)

Answer: I believe that success shouldn't madden people.

2. Ravi is late to arrive. It is raining heavily outside. (because)

Answer: Ravi is late to arrive because it is raining heavily outside.

3. I could finish my assignment in time. I was late to report. (although)

Answer: Although I was late to report, yet I could finish my assignment in time.

4. It was almost midnight. Shivam knocked at my door. (when)

Answer: It was almost midnight when Shivam knocked at my door.

5. You must reach your destination. All your travels will be meaningless. (unless)

Answer: Unless you reach your destination all your travels will be meaningless.

6. I behold a rainbow in the sky. My heart leaps up. (when)

Answer: My heart leaps up when I behold a rainbow in the sky.

7. This institute is doing a lot of good work to help the needy. It has become very famous. (which)

Answer: This institute, which has become very famous is doing a lot of good work to help the needy.

8. Learn to control your temper. You will end up fighting with everybody. (otherwise)

Answer: Learn to control your temper otherwise you will end up fighting with everybody.

9. Some people lose hope. They find it hard to cope with problems. (who)

Answer: Some people who find it hard to cope with problems lose hope.

10. I was pleased to see my old college friends at the conference. We hadn’t seen each other since we finished our course. (as)

Answer: I was pleased to see my old college friends at the conference as we had not seen each other since we finished our course.

11. People do not realise how important it is to conserve energy. They do nothing about that. (therefore)

Answer: People do not realise how important it is to conserve energy, therefore, they do nothing about that.

12. My grandmother prepared some sandwiches. They have all been eaten. (which) 

Answer: My grandmother prepared some sandwiches which have all been eaten. 

13. Atal Bihari Vajpayee works for 18 hours a day. He had accorded Yeoman's service to the nation as far as his economic reforms are concerned. (who)

Answer: Atal Bihari Vajpayee who works for 18 hours a day ahs accorded Yeoman's service to the nation as far as his economic reforms are concerned.

14. Persist in your endeavour. You are sure to succeed. (and)

Answer: Persist in your endeavour and you are sure to succeed.

15. Snoring usually disturbs other people. It does not disturb the sleeper. (but)

Answer: Snoring usually disturbs other people but it does not disturb the sleeper.

COMBINING SENTENCES


16. The doctors could not save Mr Santosh Mittal. his lever was completely damaged. (because)

Answer: The doctors could not save Mr Santosh Mittal because his lever was completely damaged.

17. With strong determination she overcomes all the problems. there is no one to help her. (although)

Answer: With strong determination, she overcomes all the problems although there is none to help her.

18. I have bought a woollen shawl for my mother. Severe winter has started now. (because)

Answer: I have bought a woollen shawl for my mother because severe winter has started now.

19. Anup must hire a taxi to reach the railway station in time. He is already late. (unless)

Answer: Unless Anup hires a taxi he won't reach the railway station in time.

20. Nanu is very fat. He can climb the stairs in one breath. (although)

Answer: Although Nanu is very fat, he can climb the stairs in one breath.

21. My elder brother has bought a car. It is an old car of 1996 model. (which)

Answer: My elder brother has bought a car which is of 1996 model.

22. I have a beautiful watch. It always keeps the correct time. (which)

Answer: I have a beautiful watch which keeps the correct time. 

23. He reached late. The teacher marked him absent. (therefore)

Answer: He reached late, therefore the teacher marked him absent.

24. My brother wants to speak to you. You met him yesterday. (whom)

Answer: My brother whom you met yesterday wants to speak to you.

25. He is very careful. He cannot make a mistake. (too)

Answer: he is too careful to make a mistake.

26. The thief broke into his house. Do you know him? (who)

Answer: Do you know the thief who broke into his house?

 




Rajesh Konwar

Author & Editor

Has laoreet percipitur ad. Vide interesset in mei, no his legimus verterem. Et nostrum imperdiet appellantur usu, mnesarchum referrentur id vim.

0 comments:

Post a Comment