Monday 19 April 2021

COMMON ERRORS IN THE USE OF DETERMINERS

 COMMON ERRORS IN THE USE OF DETERMINERS

DETERMINERS


1. English is a language of English.

Answer: English is the language of the English.

2. He gave me any money.

Answer: He gave me some money.

3. Much girls are playing there.

Answer: Some/Many girls are playing there.

4. He does not have some money.

Answer: He does not have any money.

5. She has hardly much money.

Answer: She has hardly any money.

6. Many a men enjoyed the show.

Answer: A great many men enjoyed the show./ Many a man enjoyed the show.

7. He is a man of much words.

Answer: He is a man of few words.

8. I shall return your money in some days.

Answer: I shall return your money in a few days.

9. I have spent the few money I had.

Answer: I have spent the little money I had.

10. She asked me for any money but I did not have some.

Answer: She asked me for some money but I did not have any.

11. How much eggs can you eat at the time?

Answer: How many eggs can you eat at a time?

12. I cannot eat some at dinner.

Answer: I cannot eat much at dinner.

13. Her father has sent her much presents.

Answer: Her father has sent her some/many/a few presents.

14. Many a little make a mickle.

Answer: Many a little makes a mickle.

15. This book is my.

Answer: This book is mine.

16. How many milk will be needed tomorrow?

Answer: How much milk will be needed tomorrow?

17. Can you give me few money?

Answer: Can you give me some money?

18. Let me thank you in few words.

Answer: Let me thank you in a few words.

19. He did not make some mistakes in his essay.

Answer: He did not make any mistakes in his essay.

20. Do you want any much tea?

Answer: Do you want some more tea?

21. She gave me several advice.

Answer: She gave me much advice.

22. He has usually any money.

Answer: He has hardly any money.

23. Each man is subject to death.

Answer: Every man is subject to death.

24. Every boy in my group sang a song.

Answer: Each boy in my group sang a song.

25. Many a student have failed.

Answer: Many a student has failed.

26. She has fifth sons.

Answer: She has five sons.

27. Both of ram and Shyam is absent.

Answer: Both (of) Ram and Shyam are absent.

28. I have read few books.

Answer: I have read a few books.

29. The all countries are preparing for war.

Answer: All the countries are preparing for war.

30. There is any truth in what he says.

Answer: There is no truth in what he says.

31. Will you give me much money?

Answer: Will you give me more money?

32. There is the litle hope of her success.

Answer: There is little hope of her success.

33. I have warned you much times.

Answer: I have warned you many times (many a time).

34. I have no any friend.

Answer: I have no friend.

35. He is a man of a few words.

Answer: He is a man of few words.

36. I have not some ink.

Answer: I have no ink.

37. Little money is better than none.

Answer: A little money is better than none.

38. My all friends were present.

Answer: All my friends were present.

39. The all mangoes are sour.

Answer: All the mangoes are sour.

40. All my family members are here.

Answer: All the members of my family are here.

41. His both sisters are graaduaates.

Answer: Both his sisters are graduates.

42. There were no less than fifty boys in the class.

Answer: There were no fewer than fifty boys in the class.

43. The villagers have not done nothing.

Answer: The villagers have not done anything.

44. Both Ram as well as Ramesh are intelligent.

Answer: Both Ram and Ramesh are intelligent.

45. He is both poor as well as honest.

Answer: He is both poor and honest.

46. We both love as well as respect our country.

Answer: We both love and respect our country.

47. He is both a poet as well as a painter.

Answer: He is both a poet and a painter.

48. Although he is poor, but he is honest.

Answer: Although he is poor, yet he is honest.

49. Though he enjoyed for the whole of the year, but he passed the examination with good marks.

Answer: Though he enjoyed for the whole year, yet he passed the examination with good marks.

50. Though he was angry but he listened to me patiently.

Answer: Though he was angry, he listened to me patiently.

51. Fill in the blanks with 'some or 'any'.

(a) "Have you any pets?

"Yes, I have some.

(b) There's some good news for her. She has stood first in the class.

(c) Do you have any plan to appear in some competitive examination?

(d) I asked him for some money, but he did not lend me any.

(e) You didn't commit any mistake in inviting her to your house.

(f) "Are there any students who have not paid their dues yet?" "Yes, there are some."

(g) Go and get some sugar. Ruchi hasn't put any in the milk.

(h) "Did you see any tigers in the zoo?" "No, but we saw some elephants."

(i) Some of the girls in the class have secured first division.

(j) You have eaten all the apples. You haven't left any for me.

(k) Why did you not give me any present on my birthday?

(l) There are some eggs in the basket, but there isn't any milk in the jug.

(m) There are some storybooks on the bookshelf, but there isn't any novel there.

(n) Is there anybody in the house? No, there isn't any.

(o) The Principal didn't ask me any questions. He only wanted some information.

(p) Some of the teachers are on leave today.

(q) How could she afford to spare some money? She hadn't any with her.

(r) Are there any posts reserved?

(s) "Is there any letter for me, Mr. Postman?" "No. there isn't any."

(t) I have deposited some money with the bank.

(u) As I lost my purse, I had to borrow some money from my uncle.

(v) 'Have you any friends in this city?' asked the leader. 'Yes', said I. 'I have some.'

(w) There are some good schools at Sonepat, but there isn't any technical school.

(x) The magistrate didn't ask the accused any question, but the public prosecutor put some questions to him.

(y) Some paintings are really fine.

52. Fill in the blanks with suitable determiners:

(a) He did not make any mistakes in his essay.

(b) Would you lend me any money?

(c) She asked me for some ice but I couldn't find any.

(d) I have lost appetite, so I did not eat any at dinner.

(e) The four brothers are always seen quarreling among themselves.

(f) You are yourself responsible for your miseries.

(g) There is some milk in the milk pot to make a cup of tea.

(h) Is there any use of my advising you?

(i) She cares only for some and not for others.

(j) I shall not buy any mangoes.

(k) How many trees are there in your garden?

(l) Some boys have come to college without any knowledge of English.

(m) How much milk will be needed for breakfast?

(n) We had enough apples, so some of the boys got one.

(o) Children come out with many a lame excuse.


Rajesh Konwar

Author & Editor

Has laoreet percipitur ad. Vide interesset in mei, no his legimus verterem. Et nostrum imperdiet appellantur usu, mnesarchum referrentur id vim.

0 comments:

Post a Comment